Why I’m Retiring From Movie Making

Today, I released my final movie, Into the Tin. It is my final movie, not because I’ve grown bored with movie making, but because it demands time I don’t have. Of course, my story is no different than yours — who has time to make machinima? We all work, and many of us have spouses and children. Family is a man’s number one priority, and in order to provide, one must work. When work and family take up all hours of the day, then something has to go. These are my normal, non-​unique reasons for giving up movie making.

Thanks, dear fellows, for watching my movies all these years. I made my first movie, Hark! Hear the Wails (or was it Racing the Grimtotem?), in December of 2005, nearly 8 years ago (7.7, to be exact). Since then, I’ve released over 90 movies, two albums of over two dozen songs, and gained over 130,000 YouTube subscribers and 60 million views. Not once in my early days of movie making did I ever expect to achieve these numbers, and I’m grateful to all my fans for your support.

I started my last movie, Into the Tin, in May 2010. Around that time, I started looking for a wife. I met my wife in August 2010, and we married in December 2011. I started a new career in marketing in December 2010, and my wife and I produced our first son Gavin in 2012. I never expected this movie to take me three years, but as you can see, my life changed in many ways during that time.

2010 - Dated this beautiful girl.

2010 — Dated this beautiful girl.

Started this awesome career.

2010 — Started this awesome career.

2011 - Married this beautiful lady.

2011 — Married this gorgeous lady.

2012 - Fathered this handsome gent.

2012 — Fathered this handsome gent.

Christmas 2012

Christmas 2012.

2013

Spring 2013.

This morning.

This morning.

I also released 8 other movies during this time, (Ox Chop, Mister Evil Runs for Office, Staghorn Gets a Patdown, I Saw Three Rogues, Like the Game, We Three Dwarves, The Panda Exterminator and GROW A BEARD NOW!), and I published my book The Tale of Cloran Hastings (which included a promotional machinima movie), so it’s not like I’ve been slacking. About a month ago, I buckled down to finally finish this movie, which I started right after completing Rabbit Stew. The past month has shown me time and time again why this movie has to be my last. I had a slew of technical and legal troubles, complete with computer failures, YouTube monetization rejections, copyright claims, software corruption, web hosting errors – you name it. When I was single and in college, I never really appreciated the time and sleepless nights movie making requires. Now, I value that time so much more, because (as cheeky as it sounds) every minute spent movie making is a minute away from my wife. Every night spent animating is a night I miss with my baby son.

Oxhorn Brand Movies has been a fairly profitable and fun adventure for me. However, it wasn’t profitable enough. YouTube’s content filter makes it difficult for me to monetize movies using video game artwork. I can (after much work), but the red tape is a huge hassle. And while Blizzard has been a friendly ally, giving my fans much exclusive swag like beta keys, and has in invited me (at my own expense mind you) to every Blizzcon since 2005, they have never given me the support Bungie gave Rooster Teeth of Red vs. Blue fame, and it’s at least that level of support I would have needed to continue my movies. Ultimately, I’m forced to stop making movies, as much as I love making them, because they don’t generate enough money, and I therefore can’t justify the time.

Fans of my show Scotch & Smoke Rings often ask me what it would take for me to take up movie making as a full-​time career. In order to abandon a marketing technology career I love and that supports my family to pursue machinima, I’d need $millions to start an animation studio with, and I’d need full support from the developers of whichever game I choose to work with to allow me to legally publish and monetize my movies. So, as you can see, this won’t happen anytime soon, even though I have much more material to create. (I have story arcs for Mister Evil and our happy trio already written and ready to turn into movies).

Still, the ride was a wild one and I loved every minute of it. I’ll keep my movies on YouTube forever, as long as Forever allows. I revamped oxhorn​.com to be more up-​to-​date, and to have a better user experience. There, fans will forever be able to watch my movies in higher resolution than YouTube, listen to my music, read about my characters, and engage with the strong, thriving community there. I’ve also started to publish popular casual flash games there as well. I encourage you all to head on over and see the changes I’ve made to the site.

I’ll spend the free time I have left after work and family to continue to host my weekly show, and to build up my other online properties, including GROW A BEARD NOW!, the shop section of Scotch & Smoke Rings, and of course, this blog. If you haven’t already, please subscribe to this blog with your email address here, or using the widget in the sidebar to your right.

Thanks for watching, and thanks for reading! Give me your thoughts in the comments below. Be sure to follow my social streams (Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Facebook Page) to keep up with my day-​to-​day activities. And be sure to continue to bloit those Alliance blits in Westfall with your ubar l33t hax.

About

is best known as his alter-ego Oxhorn, author of popular machinima movies. When he's not wearing suspenders with a certain sort of finesse, he's reading, writing, blogging, doing web design, making movies and more often than not enjoying a classy drink with an even classier cigar. Watch his movies at oxhorn.com and feel free to stalk him on Twitter and Facebook.

Posted in Essays, Movie Making, Oxhorn News
126 comments on “Why I’m Retiring From Movie Making
  1. Pandrodor says:

Thank you Ox, for the wonderful years ,
    I just can salute you for your dedication and your work!
    Hope my english isn’t as bad as I think, but…
    Thank you thank you thank you, and greetings vom Germany ;)
    Stay classy

Pandrodor

2. Daniel says:

Thank you Ox for some of the best spent hours of my life… If it wasn’t for you I would never have spent the countless hours that I have watching youtube video’s… You are a pioneer and a great entertainer… Thank you so much.

3. John DeJordy says:

I can still remember your first movie, and how you’ve grown over the years. You helped me in more ways than you could possibly every know. Be well, my friend. I hope you continue to find joy and happiness.

4. Naala says:

Hello Oxhorn i am sad to hear you are leaving movie making but i am happy that you gone so far and are dedicated to your family as much as you were to us loyal fans your videos have helped me smile even in the hardest times of my life and i have you to thank for that.

I wish you a happy life with your family and even if you stop making movies i hope you might continue with music we shall see what the future brings.

Best Regards Naala

5. Patrik says:

Thanks for all the movies you’ve done over the years. They have been absolutely amazing to see. You take care now
    Greetings from Sweden

6. Edohiguma says:

I’m not going to hold myself up with long speeches, so I’ll just put it this way:

Thank you, good sir. Thank you.

7. Alexander says:

Well, I’m glad you notified us of your retirement from WoW machinima, especially ny giving us Into the Tin as a final farewell. I’m not one for long speeches about nostalgia and the like, but I wager a ‘thank you’ is in order.

Thank you for all the years you kept me and many other people entertained with your movies. I wish you all the best in the future. And thanks again for still keeping the old movies available for us to go back to. You will always be one of the best creators of WoW machinima.

8. I don’t know what to say, I will miss you so much. thank you for the years and years of entertainment and orcs in space. Be well.

9. Thank you for the time and effort you have put into making these videos for us. There are many YouTube icons out there today but very few as classy as you.

Should you ever want to release your story arcs in text form keep us posted because even that would be amusing in and of itself.

10. yep wow is on the back burner as well got kid too.

11. C says:

Thanks for all the movies. Im so sad you are leaving. I hope you come back someday.

12. I remember my cousin showing me ROFLMAO so many years ago, since then i watch everything you made, im sad it has come to end already. Salutes from me and my cousin in denmark, and stay classy.

• Oxhorn says:

Your cousin has impeccable taste! Stay classy gents!

• Hi Oxhorn. i just wanted to say i’m really gonna miss you. i grew up during my teen years watching your videos, and my friends and i recited your vids. I’m so sad to see you go. I hope you have a great life with your wife and son. Please come back someday when you can! For the Horde!

13. Going to miss this classy gent.

14. Oxhorn, your career making machinima has been a great one and your retiring on a great note. It has been a pleasure to enjoy and watch your movies. Lastly remember to ROFLMAO thru life!

15. Mag Wolf says:

Good luck Ox :)

16. Ken Lee says:

this makes me really sad.

17. Alex Salcedo says:

Personally I was sad because I have enjoyed your WoW machinimas but what a man’s gotta do is what a man’s gotta do… I wish thee luck have funneth in the future :D

18. kiara says:

You have made the best wow movies anyone could ever ask for. I have stayed up multiple nights watching your movies. I hope you have a great life and I hope one day you will make great movies like you once did. Good luck with your family.

19. Chris Lee says:

This is a bittersweet ending to your filming. You have been one of my favorite forms of entertainment since I started playing WoW. Your years of entertainment has made me laugh for countless hours. I will surely be re-​watching your fantastic movies. You have made a impact in my life when it comes to comedy and silliness with video games and life in general. I hope for the best for you and your family! Stay classy!

20. So going to miss you. take care of the family. The fans will still watch these amazing videos. Good luck and hugs.

21. Danny Vanhoutte says:

Oh wow… your movies, the songs, I mean oh WoW…
    I’m glad I’ve got to watch your movies. Oxhorn brand medley will always be the song to go to when I need a little pick me up.
    When I got children I will be sure to teach them about Oxhorn with his Hammer and magic helmet.

22. Jakub Gastol says:

hmmmm I was thinking, well that would take time but.… how about writting a book about ox and friends, instead of doing animation we would use our brains to see the images as you write, we all know them well to imagine them with no problem. anyway thats just a suggestion and I am sure you thought about it already. we gonna miss you all… btw when we kill garrosh try to run for a warchief ; D I heard its a good money :3

• Oxhorn says:

That sounds like a very good idea! I’m encouraged that I’ve heard this suggestion from more than one of you. Hmmmm, I may need to explore this…

23. Ryan Colonico says:

Usually a You-​tubers or movie makers first movies aren’t exactly the best, but enough to catch someone attention, but after watching your Hark hear the wails and Racing the Grimtotem, that definitely proves me wrong. During watching those movies my eyes were locked to the screen, And after watching Racing the Grimtotem, I was extremely sad, but really satisfied off how that film had ended, Showing how amazing your work was and how it always has been. Sad to see you go, and good luck, Hope to see you every S&SR.

24. From the Classic ROFLMAO to the song that made me forget the lyrics of The Twelve Days of Christmas, replacing it forever by The Twelve Days of Winterveil, to those epic movies about those fellow Pwners, Gnome-​putting gentlemen.
    The Internet will remember you and your talented troop of traveling troubadours.
    You will pwn n00bs 4ever.
    Have a classy life!

25. Andrew D'Acunto says:

I grew up watching your vids. Good luck with the rest of you life.

26. Andrew D'Acunto says:

Out of curiosity will you keep the channel up?

27. Amber says:

You have always been a wonderful addition to the WoW Machinima community — I am proud of your decision to focus on family yet crestfallen as you will leave us. With any luck, your son will grow an equally magnificent beard and team up with you in his later years — Oxhorn Part II!

All the best of luck.

28. So…so many feeeeels.

29. Jej Jej says:

Škoda da je nehal a pač je tak nei

30. Oh god… i remember when me and my school mates found your channel and first lissened to an oxhorns brand medley… we sang it for weeks even months and feasted on your movies… many cheerfull hours and joyfull laughts… thank you.

31. Dustin Belcher says:

Thank you for all of the videos and all the time you put into them to keep all of us entertained. You are an amazing individual and am glad to have met you at Blizz Con 2009. I wish you well in all of your future endeavors and in life in general.

32. Fred Shutts says:

Dude youve made me laugh till I cryed, thank you, and good luck with the family and job.

33. Thurston says:

I love you so much Oxhorn, it makes me want to cry. But… You have every reason to stop making Machinima. I remember playing all of your songs on loops over and over while doing PvP.… Ahhh. Good times. Well I just wanted to say that. Stay classy my majestic bearded man.

34. Fred says:

It has been an honor,my good man.Its sad to see you go,but we all have to move on someday.These years have been fun,and ive always looked forward to your vidoes,they have made me play WoW again and again when i quit.Your humor was stellar and not overdone.A giggle everytime i watched them no matter how well i knew them.Good luck,brandon.May life be a bounty! ANd i,ll read your work!I cant wait til i get my hands on it!

35. Fred says:

Oh,and instead of swearing,ive started using your phrases,for bloits sake!

36. Dan says:

Thanks alot Oxhorn … You have funny videos without swearing or vulgar humor which is rare, your videos were memorable with some having me watch them over and over. You have a nice little family and I am glad that you are willing to give up something you love for them. Your videos made me laugh so much and I like how you gave all your glory to Jesus at the end of each. Thanks for reading this long post, God bless and take care.

37. Chii-Chan says:

I’ll miss you Oxhorn. Your videos always make my day. Thanks for all of them and for just being you.
    – lilchii of Skywall

38. Magnusson says:

Oxhorn you have always done so well at capturing the mirth and fun of WoW. For many months I have stayed absent from Azeroth and wondered what turn of events will give me peace to say goodbye to that place. If the tales and songs of Oxhorn have come to an end, then so to can those I have spun myself.

Thank you so much for playing the bard for us all these many years.

39. Aviv says:

Oxhorn thank you for all those years…
    I remember seeing your video for the first time “ROFLMAO
    I don’t really know what to say but I was sad when I saw your last movie’s title but family comes first and I wish you good luck in your life and hope you will return one day , I started playing wow because of your videos and you were amazing
    Stay classy !

40. Matt says:

I remember when my friends and I discovered World of Warcraft in the 5th grade, and I still play it today. And one of the first WoW machinimas that I watched was ROFLMAO while I waited for my parents to begin letting me subscribe that christmas. Thanks for the years of classy and funny videos. You are a very talented and awesome guy and I’m so glad to have had the pleasure of watching your masterpieces. While I am taking a break from WoW at the moment (Addicted to TF2), that doesn’t stop me from watching your videos and recollecting the memories over all the years! I’ll continue to watch your weekly show as well :). Best of wishes my friend, and Thanks.

• Oxhorn says:

Thanks good sir! Since you play TF2, you should see my series of TF2 machinima movies. Click the MOVIES link above and then click on Dynamic Action Team.

41. TY FRY GUY says:

I’ve been watching since I was a small child and now I’m 16, I’ll miss you.

42. Canegor says:

Just heard about the retirement, and wasted no time to read your farewell post. I would like to thank you for years of hard work and all the effort that you invested to provide us with good entertainment.

Even though it makes me sad to see you stop making videos, I do understand the reasoning behind it, and as a 30-​year old guy with a family of my own, I salute your decision to focus your free time on spending it with your loved ones.

I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors.

Take care man & pozdrav iz Srbije! ;)

43. Tiago Fernandes says:

Oxhorn, you made the right choice, as long as it is dificult for me to say goodbye, I know your family and work are the most important to you right now, I’ve been watching your videos since 2007 and never stoped, you are an amazing person and your work speaks for itself, if you ever decide to make movies again we’ll be expecting you with open arms. You are the reason I started playing WoW, I never enjoyed it that much , so I didn’t go very far. But now I’ve started playing again, and I’ll be sure to think of you everytime I play. I’ll continuing watching your videos and listening to your music, and I will be happily waiting your return. In the meantime, I’ll be sure to continue to bloit those Alliance blits in Westfall with my ubar l33t hax. Till we next meet, and as always, stay classy!

44. Connor says:

Thanks for 8 years of awesome entertainment Ox. I’m sad to see you leave but I’m happy to see that it’s for such a selfless and honorable reason. I need not tell you that you were a great movie maker since the views speak for themselves. I’m really impressed at the creativity in your videos, The musical numbers in Orcs in Space are my favorite example. Above all I think the greatest part was the cleanliness of your humor, not many people can be clean and still funny. Also, I don’t know if you still feel this way since it has been a while, but I was happy to see a man of faith unafraid to speak out about his beliefs. There’s so much more I could and want to say but I’ll spare you the mad raving of a fan, and I hope someday you will entreat us with more of your creative genius in one way or another. Stay Classy.

45. Cristi says:

You will be missed , one of my top youtubers witch entertained me over the years , its quite sad to think that its the time when i won’t see anything that will make me feel better after a hard day and so on , ill need to get over it , and once again you will be missed , thank you for all the wonderful moments , 8 years full of entertaining thanks to you , and i hoped it would never end but , as they say , every good thing must come to an end , sad end indeed. Good luck with your love sincerely your Romanian fan Cristi.

46. Russell Brower says:

From my little corner of the Blue Tribe, I want to wish you the very best, and I hope that making movies, which is clearly a passion that has brought joy to many, will be a part of some future chapter for you. It was great meeting you at BlizzCons! And, for the record, you had me at “ROFLMAO:)
    Your priority on family, though, is just as inspiring! Thank you, Brother, for being part of our World. Indelible memories, for sure!
    With all my best,
    Russell Brower (music & sound dabbler)

47. Ox, I’m going to miss you. I didn’t think I’d cry, but here I am, tearing up. You’re an awesome guy, and thank you for ever minute of the joy I’ve had from your videos. One other thing, say hi to Gavin for me.-Adam

48. Peter says:

Thank you, Oxhorn, for all of the wonderful movies! I have enjoyed them so much throughout the time that I have watched them, and I hope that you and your family enjoy life as we have enjoyed your movies! :’) Stay Classy Ox!

49. Johan says:

Thank you for so many hours of awesome entertainment through the years. I’ve been watching your videos pretty much since you started doing machinima and I would never ask for those hours back.

Thank you Brandon, and good luck with whatever the future holds for you.

/​A dedictated swedish fan.

50. Tyler Webb says:

I grew up watching this videos and you honestly will always have a place in my memories. I still play WOW and would usually play while having your songs in the background haha! You reminded me as well as many others that the game is meant for fun, and not to be taken to seriously. I thank you and wish you good luck on your future forever an oxhorn fan!

51. Josh House says:

i’ll always cherish the memories that your videos evoked of old barrens and mulgore, so thanks for that! I wanted to ask though, do you still keep in touch with Mark Pfaff? How is he doing? Good luck in your future endeavors!

52. Every WoW Machinima I have watched started wit one video, ROFLMAO. I have spent countless hours watching your films. It has brought me untold joy to rewatch them as I show them to new generations of people when I say, “Dude, you have to watch this video”. Passing along your talent and gift to others through these vids. Family will make you do alot of things you never thought you would do and enjoy every minute of it. May your life continue to be blessed and grand. You never know where it will take you. Dasvidaniya, not goodbye, until we meet again.

53. It’s sad to see people go, but makes the joy of their return even sweeter.

54. Rob says:

Before my parents would even let me play WoW I still watched some of your vids. I’ll never forget ROFLMAO. It’s sad to see you go and sorry I didn’t reply when you actually did retire, for some reason I couldn’t find the Into the Tin video; it was kind of weird. I hope you return soon & as always stay classy!

55. stefan bloem says:

i didnt knew you stopped with making movies but i wish you very much luck with your future

56. Aleksandar says:

Do you have some new pics of Oxhorn Junior ? :D Has he showed some interests into movie making yet ? :P

57. Qrton says:

Thank you so much, Oxhorn! We will never forget you. I hope you will come back some day :) We will be waiting. We miss you. /​hug
    Stay classy.
    With love, a WoW player.

58. Fanya says:

Hey Ox,
    don’t know if you check this out once in a while, but I just wanted to say thank you for the laughs! Never seen anything done with machinima like you did, especially with your certain kind of humor, taste and grace.
    Inventing swear words and the adventures of Mr Evil are so unforgettable to me and I watch them every once in a while although I can recite nearly every line by now. Gave me some extra english vocabulary (and by that I don’t mean the english you usually learn in school…) btw — thanks for that, too ;)
    Wish you all the best with your job, your wife and the cute little boy, may it all be like you wanted it to!

Greets from Germany!

59. TheDoctor54 says:

I started watching your videos a couple of years ago, but stopped due to lack of internet and didn’t start back up til today, to be honest. I haven’t seen all of your videos, but you bet your hat I will. Thank you for the entertainment that I have had and that I will have in the future!

60. CryUncle says:

Thank you very much for your videos. Blizzard provided the forum and the sport for us to enjoy competition and creativity, but real people made it a great experience. I was a player from month 1 to the beginning of Cataclysm but had to leave when I took a great job in an area with inadequate internet. Videos such as yours added so much flavor to our experience. Congratulations on your family! My old guild members and people like you feel like family and I’m glad to hear of their lives.

Reply with Class